Sunday, October 5, 2008

Gluten-Free Lemon Scones


Since I recently discovered that I have a gluten intolerance, pastry of any description has been off the menu, much to my dismay. I love to bake and eat baked things, which can be a bit of a problem if you can't eat wheat (or rye or barley). This is my first attempt at using gluten-free flour. I used Bob's Red Mill Biscuit and Baking Mix and a recipe from their website found here: http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes_detail.php?rid=682 The scones were OK. The recipe indicates 30 minutes of baking, but mine were just this side of burnt after 20 minutes, so I would recommend adjusting accordingly. I also made some fake Devonshire cream to go with them. Because I apparently can't read a recipe correctly, I asked my husband to get whipped cream instead of whipping cream. So I mixed up cream cheese with a bit of sugar and the Cool Whip. The result was actually pretty good.

No comments: