Thursday, July 25, 2013

Packing: A Week at Disney World

This is a post I meant to do last summer!  We went to Disney World in June 2012 and had a blast.  I am mildly obsessed with packing, and always put a lot (read, "way too much") thought into what to bring, so even though it is a year late, I am still posting this!  Also, read about my planning and itinerary creation here: Disney World: Planning

It sounds weird, but packing for Disney was pretty tricky.  When we went to England a couple of years ago, I was determined to pack everything in a carry on, and so I carefully coordinated everything to minimize how much I had to take (see that post here: Packing Light: Ten Days in England).


The trickiness comes in because you will basically need two outfits for each day: not amenable to traveling light!  However, I knew that walking around the park would mean being hot and sweaty and I would want to change before going out in the evening.


For day, I chose basic T shirts, including some I usually use for running which are great at wicking away moisture.  Running shorts, sneakers, short athletic socks, and a visor finished things off.  I carried my Ameribag, which is designed to feel like it weighs less than it actually does.  I carried this because I knew I wanted to have my camera and water bottle in the park (hydration is crucial), but next time I think I would try to find a way to get away with less.  Actually, who am I kidding--next time I'll have children and will probably be the resident porter!


After spending the morning and lunchtime in the parks, we would usually come back to the hotel for a swim, nap, and shower before heading back out for evening activities.  Disney is super-casual, so I didn't worry about choosing anything too dressy: just khaki shorts and a white skirt that could be paired with any of the tops.  We wouldn't be walking nearly as much, so the tennis shoes and flip-flops were fine.


The extra items: I brought yoga pants and extra T shirts to wear on our travel days.  We rented a fifteen passenger van (there were 8 of us going--6 adults, a teenager, and a toddler--plus all our luggage), and this worked out well.  Comfort is key on a nine hour drive.  I also packed the necessities: pajamas, swimsuits, and a cover-up.


Here is everything (minus toiletries) as it went into the bag (a large duffle).  I liked rolling the clothes together (sorted by type:  tops, shorts, bottoms, swim, etc), because they take up less room, and don't get quite as wrinkled.  However, since then, I have purchased packing cubes, which I love.  They should feature in an upcoming packing post.


Here is a demonstration of the stack and roll method, although I am pretty sure it doesn't need explanation. 

I was pretty happy with the clothes I brought--I was comfortable and appropriately dressed and even though I brought two outfits for each day, they didn't really take up that much room.

4 comments:

pleasanthillponderings said...

Your Disney stuff is amazing - this is going to be a huge help. What is a packing cube?

Stephanie said...

Thanks @pleasanthillponderings! I hope your trip goes well! A packing cube is a nylon, zippered bag that is actually more like a rectangular prism in shape. I got a set of three in varying sizes from ebags on amazon when they were on sale for $20!: http://www.amazon.com/eBags-Packing-Cubes-3pc-Titanium/dp/B0013KBVHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374776529&sr=8-1&keywords=ebags

Martha Isabel Barros said...

Stephanie thanks for your great traveling trips we are 4 (2 teens)since little we hace been going to Disney a lot and found great help by having cut fuit and protein/granola bars handy at backpacks for everyone and water.. the foood lines are amazing and we only do 1 big meal at a restaurant and not picking junk food. Big breakfast in the AM and probably around 3/4 pm.big meal something light for dinner. It has worked just fine money and healthy eating specially.

Martha Isabel Barros said...

Stephanie thanks for your great traveling trips we are 4 (2 teens)since little we hace been going to Disney a lot and found great help by having cut fuit and protein/granola bars handy at backpacks for everyone and water.. the foood lines are amazing and we only do 1 big meal at a restaurant and not picking junk food. Big breakfast in the AM and probably around 3/4 pm.big meal something light for dinner. It has worked just fine money and healthy eating specially.